Friday, March 21, 2014

Outdoor Kit


Everyone loves gear. However, the depth and breadth of equipment available for traveling and adventuring is staggering, and merits some careful contemplation. This is a list of some of my favorite outdoor kit, which I use for most of my wilderness adventures. This is by no means an exhaustive list of everything you need to survive, but I do believe it covers the essentials. 


1. Pack: I use a 65-liter Teton Sports Explorer 4000. It has treated me well so far. Its got plenty of straps and pockets, as well as a separate lower compartment that is very handy for quickly stuffing a sleeping bag into. I'm also a huge fan of Kelty backpacks. 

2. Stove: I use a little "rocket" camp stove with a Primus backpacking pot and pan. A standard gas canister fits inside the pot to save space. The foldable rocket stove is great, but I recently learned about the beer can stove, which seems way more practical to me. It is really easy to find various kinds of alcohols or flammable liquids when traveling (on which the beer can stove runs). In contrast, it's a little more difficult to find camping stores or standardized fuel canisters in many parts of the world. 

3. Sleeping Bag: In my opinion, there's no need to spend a ton on a sleeping bag. Unless I really really need it, I tend to avoid winter bags to save some space. A 25*F-rated bag should get you through most situations.

4. Tent: I don't actually use a tent. Rather, I use an inexpensive, lightweight 10'x10' tarp. It can quickly be constructed into a lean-to or other small shelter which can very easily be taken down and has a low profile. Unless it's raining or snowing, I actually prefer not to use the tent at all. Rather, I pull a mosquito net over my head and cinch up the drawstring on the hood of my sleeping bag to keep the bugs out. 

5. Bedroll: nothing much to see here, just a standard inflatable bedroll. Again, I don't think there is any reason to spend a ton of money on something as basic as a bedroll. 

5. Water Storage: I use a combination of Nalgene bottles and sometimes a wineskin. The wineskin has a slim profile and is more or less an inexpensive version of other water bladder options. Plus it looks cool.

6. Water Filter: Water filter options abound, but my personal favorite is the Lifestraw. They only cost $20, last a long time, and are super lightweight. Depending on where you are in the world, you may need a chemical or mechanical filter as well, but Lifestraws are good enough for most situations. 

7. Knife: A Ka-bar is the only knife you will ever need, and need a knife, you do. 

8. Paracord: Very good, multi-purpose item. Can be used as a turniquet, to make shelter, climb things, fish, make hunting weapons etc. It's the kind of item you probably won't need except for a few rare, desperate situations. 

9. Compass/Map: It's tempting to de-emphasize the importance of navigation skills, but it's one of those things that you will almost never need until you really, really do. Always bring a compass and a map, even if you don't think you'll use it.

10. Multitool: Multi-tools are good for small repairs on equipment. Don't spend too much on one either, any kind will do the job. 

11. Headlamp: Especially useful for night hiking, spelunking, and going to the bathroom after dark. 

12. Lighter: Makes fire. Some survivalists will tell you that you need to carry vaseline-soaked cotton balls, fire pistons, a flint and steel etc. That's like using a brick to bang in nails when you have a hammer. If you bring a couple lighters on an adventure and they get lost or run out of fuel, make sure you know how to start a fire manually using the various friction methods or common materials. But bottom line, be prepared and bring lots of lighters. 

13. Common Sense: Has gotten me out of all kinds of dangerous situations time after time.

14. First Aid: Because accidents happen sometimes. 

How about you guys? What is some of your favorite gear for wilderness adventures?



3 comments:

  1. love me some all purpose soap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't forget about sun block, bug spray, bandages and bacitracin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are absolutely right, first aid and bug/sun protection is a must!

      Delete